What is Fair Trade?
Fair trade is a growing movement that was founded over 65 years ago by Edna Ruth Byler and is dedicated to the principles of fairly compensating workers and producers for their work or products. It is an economic partnership based on dialogue, transparency, and respect. The goals of fair trade are economic and ecological sustainability accomplished through the following key principles:
- Creating Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
- Developing Transparent and Accountable Relationships
- Building Capacity
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Paying Promptly and Fairly
- Supporting Safe and Empowering Working Conditions
- Ensuring the Rights of Children
- Cultivating Environmental Stewardship
- Respecting Cultural Identity
As a past member of the Fair Trade Federation, Avatar Imports is committed to adhering to these principles and aims to empower its workers by giving them the opportunity to rise out of poverty and subsequently improve their quality of life. Avatar Imports has partnered with a fair trade factory in Kathmandu, Nepal where a majority of its products are produced continuously throughout the year.